December 9, 2019:
Trails are being groomed day and night in most areas of the Keweenaw. Trails north to Brockway Mountain Drive are open but are in early season condition. Groomers are heading as far south as Toivola.
- Trail 3 from Dollar Bay to Lake Linden and the Freda Trail (south of the Portage Lake Lift Bridge) will be closed the entire season for repair.
- Trail 133 is closed until a reroute can be found.
- Trail 134 and 135 are temporarily closed due to logging.
- Portage Lift Bridge is not yet open for snowmobile traffic.
Please stay on the trails, STAY OFF THE ICE, respect private property, do not drink and drive, and above all else, drive safely. The signs on the trails are there for rider’s safety so please DO NOT remove or destroy them.
1-4 DAY FORECAST:
A strong cold front is in the process of working through MN and IA and will work through the rest of the Midwest in the next 24 hours. The front will bring snows to MN, N. IA, most of WI, the UP and northern lower MI. An area of low pressure is developing along the front and will enhance the snows in northern WI and the UP, where a general 3-6″ of snow looks to fall Some 8-12″ totals are likely in the western UP
Snowfall & Weather Report
Houghton County has received a total of 44.5″ of snow for the season and Keweenaw County has received 63”2″ of snow for the season.
- Today’s forecast: Snow showers early will become steadier snow for the afternoon. High near 20F. Chance of snow 80%. 5 to 8 inches of snow expected.
- Tomorrow: Snow showers. High 11F. Chance of snow 40%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.
- Wednesday: Snow showers. High 9F. Chance of snow 70%. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches.
- Thursday: Cloudy. A few flurries or snow showers possible. High 12F. Chance of snow 20%. Snow accumulation less than an inch.
- Friday: Occasional snow showers. High 29F. Chance of snow 40%. Snow accumulation less than an inch.
Cross Country Skiing Report
Churning Rapids – Trails were groomed late Wednesday evening. As of Thursday morning they are still a bit soft. (12/5/19)
Chassell – With the warm temps and rain on Sunday, the trail became very soft. It is now very icy and dangerous. Grooming is suspended until we receive snow. (12/9/19)
Maasto Hiihto/Churning Rapids – All trails rolled. Tracks set on all trails except for the River trail between Sidewinder and Dam hill, and Mud Lake. Good to very good conditions. (12/6/19)
Michigan Tech – Trails have firmed up significantly after yesterday’s warm spell, and thin spots showing on competition and lower trails. (12/9).
Swedetown – Warm temperatures have led to soft conditions on the trails at Swedetown. The snow bike trails are dragged and rideable with a few random soft spots, under 5 psi recommend (12/8/19)
Courtesy of KeweenawTrails.com
Mont Ripley – Early Season Hours (Dec 7 – Dec 22) Open Saturday 10 am – 5 pm and Sunday 10 am – 5 pm. Base of 36”. New snow 2” (Updated 12/9/19)
Mount Bohemia – Not open due to insufficient base. (12/9/19)