Lighthouses of the Keweenaw

Lighthouses of the Keweenaw

With the increase in copper production came greater demand for large-scale commercial transportation.  In the mid to late 1800s, Lake Superior served as a major maritime transportation route and was used to transport vast amounts of copper and other materials. Lighthouses were strategically built to help safely guide ships along the rocky coastlines and aided vessels coming in and out of the Copper Country.  

The Keweenaw Peninsula features 8 lighthouses that are actually located on the Peninsula as well as 7 that are on Isle Royale National Park or off the shore of the Keweenaw.  Copper Harbor Lighthouse was the first to be built in 1849 but was dismantled and the stones were used to build the current structure that was built and lit by 1866.

Today, only the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse is open to the public for tours, but many can still be admired from outside.  

Kayakers paddle near the Jacobsville Lighthouse

Kayakers paddle near the Jacobsville Lighthouse near the South Entry of Portage Lake.

View Map
FILTERS
Close

Refine Search

By Category:
By Regions:
By Name:

Lighthouse Road
Eagle Harbor, MI 49950 US

Phone: (906) 289-4990
Region: Eagle Harbor
Website

Located at the west end of Eagle Harbor, the present brick structure was built in 1871. It is now a part of the Keweenaw County Historical Society's Light Station Museum Complex and is open to the pub
More Info

Eagle River, MI 49950 US

Region: Eagle River

This lighthouse, located at the south bend of the Eagle River, went into operation in 1854. In 1874 a new lighthouse with a brick tower a 24' square brick tower and a small dwelling were built. It's
More Info

List of Members

Members found: 12

showing 1 through 2 of 2

showing 1 through 2 of 2

 

Produced by
Please read!

This site uses "Cookies" to store limited information required to provide you with a consistent user experience. Click "Show more" for additional information.

Show more Got it!