Quincy Steam Hoist, Shafthouse & Underground Mine Tour
The Quincy Mine properties are owned and operated by the Quincy Mine Hoist Association, Inc., a not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) corporation created to preserve and educate the public about this largely forgotten chapter of our American heritage.
Things to See & Do:
- Guided tour of underground copper mine
- Ride inside the mine on the Quincy Electric Reversible Mine Transport (QERMiT).
- Quincy #2 Shafthouse: constructed in 1908, a marvel of engineering efficiency
- Take a closer look at the shaft house
- Nordberg Steam Hoist: largest steam-powered hoist engine ever built
- Passenger Cog Rail Tram: Takes you from the top of Quincy Hill to the East Adit (mine entrance)
- Experience the panoramic view of the Portage Lake Lift Bridge, Houghton, and the Huron Mountains
- Miner's Memorial House
- Gift Shop: Buy tour tickets here & shop for mining-related books, videos & souvenirs
- Summertime hours: 7 days a week
We would like to lookup your present location so we can provide accurate directions.
Your browser may ask for your permission to determine your location (possibly at the top of this page).
If you agree, we will use your current location as the starting point for directions. If you don't agree, you may enter a starting location when the map is displayed.