Manitou Island Lighthouse
Owned by the Keweenaw Land Trust, the Manitou Island Light Station sits on a 93-acre nature area at the eastern tip of Manitou Island, one of the most remote places in the Keweenaw area. Fierce Lake Superior storms and strong currents make travel out to this lighthouse difficult except for the properly equipped. The property and grounds are open to the public, but the lighthouse is closed to public tours. The island is only accessible by private boat, with a small dock located 2/3 of a mile west of the light station (under repair in 2015).
Construction of the light station was authorized by Abraham Lincoln in 1861 and the modern lamp in the tower is a functioning aid to navigation maintained by the US Coast Guard. A brick storage building was added in 1895, and a concrete fog signal building in 1930. The station was automated in 1953 and sat vacant for many decades before being acquired by KLT in 2004. Work continues to stabilize and rehabilitate the structures for interpretive use.