Keweenaw Waterway Lower Entrance Light
The Keweenaw Waterway Lower Entrance Light is situated on Lake Superior’s Keweenaw Bay, near the southern mouth to the Keweenaw Peninsula’s Portage River. The lighthouse stands at the end of a half-mile U.S. Army Corps of Engineers breakwater jutting out from White City Park. First lit in 1920, the Lower Entrance Light shines its beacon 68' above Lake Superior and is visible for over 9 miles in clear weather. After being automated in the 1950s, the lighthouse stood empty until 2016 when it was acquired by the Keweenaw Waterway Lighthouse Conservancy.
The public can view the Lower Entrance Light from White City Park or by walking across the half-mile breakwater for an up-close view. The Keweenaw Waterway Lighthouse Conservancy plans to offer tours once interior rehabilitation is further along and safety for visitors is assured.
|Open Year Round|