Houghton Waterfront Trail
- This 4.5-mile paved waterfront trail runs the length of the City along the Portage waterway.
- The trail was constructed in the 1980s along with the abandoned railroad grade and the City procured nearly 1.5 miles of waterfront for the public to use.
- It connects the waterfront parks and also connects to the state-owned Houghton-Chassell rail trail.
- During the snow-free months, it is a non-motorized trail. When snow-covered, it serves as a snowmobile trail.
- The police department patrols the trail by bicycle in the summer months and by snowmobile in the winter months.
- Houghton's Beautification Committee has made significant efforts over the past several years in planting the downtown portions with perennial gardens.
We would like to lookup your present location so we can provide accurate directions.
Your browser may ask for your permission to determine your location (possibly at the top of this page).
If you agree, we will use your current location as the starting point for directions. If you don't agree, you may enter a starting location when the map is displayed.