Hancock Recreational Boating & Camping Facility
Open May 15 - October 15 with an attendant on duty from 7 am to 9 pm.
The Recreation Area is conveniently situated on beautiful Portage Lake, one mile west of downtown Hancock on M-203. Join us for some good, clean North Country fun in the heart of the most spectacular scenery in the Midwest. The Hancock area is truly an all-season recreational paradise.
- The Recreation Area comprises over 28 acres of developed properties offering opportunities for camping, boating, swimming, fishing and picnicking.
- Beach facilities include playground equipment, volleyball and horseshoe courts and and many tables available for public enjoyment.
- Facilities include clean restrooms, showers, phones, laundry, a changing house and boat ramp.
- All thoroughfares through the camping area are blacktopped and have streetlights for nighttime safety. In addition, all roads are police patrolled.
- There are daily fees for the campsites. Use of the beach is free.
- The Facility is open to the public from May 15 to October 15.
- Free Wi-Fi Internet Access Available
- There are 71 campsites to choose from - 56 for recreational vehicles (with electric power) and 15 tent sites.
- The campsites are situated in a natural rustic setting among a densely wooded stand of conifers and various northern hardwoods and softwoods.
- The campground contains restrooms, shower facilities, phones and a laundry.
- An attendant is on duty from 7am to 9pm daily. Firewood is available for purchase from the attendant.
- Enjoy nature walks among the park's trails. There's good berry picking in season too.
- Ample parking is available.
- Licensed with the State of Michigan.
- Before May 15th - 906.482.2720 or e-mail the City Clerk email@example.com
- After May 15th - 906.482.7413.
- The City does not guarantee specific sites, however, we will try to accommodate your requests.
Enjoy excellent fishing. Catch northern and walleye pike, bass, perch, panfish and various species of trout along the Portage Waterway, or directly access Lake Superior for some exciting deep sea fishing.
The park has over one mile of lakeshore frontage on beautiful Portage Lake, a 26 mile waterway of clean Lake Superior water unsurpassed for its natural beauty and multipurpose use.
Swim in the fresh, cool, clean water of Portage Lake or just sit and enjoy the 300 feet of beautiful sun soaked sand beach.
There's swimming, a pier, changing house, picnic pavilion and and many tables available for public enjoyment.
Bring a picnic lunch and make it a family outing on the large picnic area adjacent to the beach.
We would like to lookup your present location so we can provide accurate directions.
Your browser may ask for your permission to determine your location (possibly at the top of this page).
If you agree, we will use your current location as the starting point for directions. If you don't agree, you may enter a starting location when the map is displayed.