Freda the Ghost Town
Take the Houghton Canal Road west of Houghton to the Coles Creek Road to the Freda Road, then left to the end. This was the home of the Champion Mine mill. Freda was also a popular resort destination.
Settled in 1910, it had a population of 500 and was located along the Copper Range Railroad. It had a congregational church and a stamp mill along with a barber, physician, saloon and hotel. In 1915, a Catholic church was added followed by a movie theatre in 1917.
In 1971, the rails of the Copper Range Railroad were removed and the mill that had crushed copper for half a century was shut down leavinf Freda a ghost town.