Ten Reasons To Visit The Keweenaw
- In the Keweenaw Peninsula we have beautiful summer breezes that keep us about 10 degrees cooler in the summertime. When temperatures are sometimes in the triple digits, come to the Keweenaw where you can put your feet in the water while letting the breezes blow through your hair while helping to keep you cool.
- Rockhounding is a favorite for many people here in the Keweenaw Peninsula. Rugged coastlines with rocky shorelines are a great place for looking for Agates, Quartz, Datolite, Thompsonite, and Copper are just a few of the rocks and minerals you can find here. You can spend hours combing the beaches for these beauties. You can also stop in at the A.E. Seamans Mineral Museum in Houghton, Prospectors Paradise-in Allouez Michigan. Many of our souvenir shops carry agates, and copper specimens for you to buy.
- Outdoors, we have some of the most beautiful scenery this side of the Rockies. We have mountains and foothills with many chances to enjoy our beautiful area. The list of places to go and visit is endless. We have a large variety of Biking and hiking trails for the experienced or the novice. You can go at your own pace and enjoy the sanctuaries and conservatories. Here in the Keweenaw, we take great pride in preserving our luscious green forests and beautiful beaches so they will be here for many years to come.
- Fishing is a great way to have fun and be out on the water. Whether you want big lake fishing or small inland fishing, we have it all for you here. Lake Superior is home to some large game fish like lake trout and salmon. If you do not want to do big lake fishing then we have many inland lakes for you to enjoy as well as beautiful rivers for Trout fishing, and during the spring you can go Smelt dipping as well.
- Biking, what a great way to get out and enjoy all that the Keweenaw has to offer all while getting some wonderful exercise! We have several trail systems up here from Houghton to Copper Harbor. We have MTB and IMBA trail systems up here for you to enjoy. So, bring your family and create some great mountain biking memories all while staying in shape and keeping your heart young.
- Hiking is a great way to be outside and see our beautiful area first hand. From hiking up hills and cliffs to walking along an easier footpath. We have so many trails to offer. Whether you are an experienced hiker and want to climb steep hills or you just want to take a leisurely walk on a footpath, we have something for everyone.
- Lake Superior, the largest of all the Great Lakes has so much to offer. It has clean, pristine water that is great for swimming, fishing, boating, or kayaking. Sit on the lakeshore and look for Agates or Thompsonite, while the kids play in the water.
- Camping, from Twin Lakes to Copper Harbor, we have some of the most gorgeous camping around. Many of our campgrounds are close to water. Some are right on Lake Superior. You can enjoy the relaxing atmosphere that camping has to offer while taking in the beautiful scenery.
- Snow, we have 226 miles of snowmobile trails that are maintained by 5 state of the art groomers. We take great pride in our wonderful trail system and we strive to make them the best around. We receive approximately 25 feet of snow per winter. This allows us to offer many wintertime activities. From Snow Shoe and cross country skiing, downhill skiing, and our very own backcountry ski resort that is ready for anyone looking for a great adventure. Ski from your own front door at many of the lodging facilities that are available.
- Relax and unwind here in the Keweenaw. Want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the big cities, unwind, and put your feet up for a time? We are the place for you to do just that. We offer miles and miles of beautiful scenic trails and byways that will allow you to get away from it all, unplug and unwind. We have so much to offer here in the Keweenaw.
25880 Red Jacket Rd
Calumet, MI 49913 US
616 Shelden Ave
Houghton, MI 49931 US
41950 Willson Memorial Dr.
Chassell, MI 49916 US
399 Quincy St
Hancock, MI 49930 US