Keweenaw Pasty Trail
The Pasty is a cultural point of pride in the Keweenaw. They’re considered sacred among many life-long residents of the U.P. Debates range far and wide on which pasty reigns supreme. In the spring of 2020, ten of the Copper Country’s prime pasty pros went head to head in the first-ever Keweenaw Pasty Challenge to determine a champion.
Now, you can immerse yourself in a treasure trove of portable yumminess by doing your own pasty pilgrimage. So grab a bib and pick a side (ketchup or gravy) and travel along the Keweenaw’s Pasty Trail!
What is a Pasty?
Pronounced “past-ee”, this cuisine is a folded pastry case with a savory filling, typically of seasoned meat and vegetables. The travel-ready meal came to the Keweenaw by way of Cornish miners who migrated to the area to work in the region’s booming copper mines during the 19th century.
Keweenaw Pasty Trail Map
Use the map below to help plan your epic pasty adventure. Whether you visit all twelve in a glorious 24-hour marathon or stop at a different shop each trip, we’re sure you’ll find your favorite.
Complete the Keweenaw Pasty Trail Challenge
Do you have what it takes to become a Keweenaw Pasty Trail (KPT) Legend? If you’ve got the guts (literally and figuratively), complete the following to achieve unprecedented fame and score some sweet Keweenaw swag:
- Snap a picture of yourself outside each of our 13 Pasty Shops (see list below) and try a pasty. Seriously, they’re tasty.
- Post the pictures to your Instagram account using the hashtag #KeweenawPastyTrail. You can take your sweet time or do them all in a day. Just practice safe pasty consumption.
- After posting all 13 pics, send us a message on Instagram, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, letting us know you’re claiming KPT Legendary Status and your mailing address.
- We’ll verify and send you some Keweenaw swag. Who knows, maybe we’ll get a t-shirt designed? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
13 Keweenaw Pasty Shop Destinations
Here’s the list of our 13 Keweenaw shops.
- Mohawk Superette – 158 Stanton Ave, Mohawk, MI 49950
- Toni’s Country Kitchen – 79 3rd St, Laurium, MI 49913
- Amy J’s Pasty & Bake Shop – 1000 N Lincoln Dr, Hancock, MI 49930
- Roy’s Pasties & Bakery – 305 W Lakeshore Dr, Houghton, MI 49931
- Feedmill Cafe – 35009 Tapiola Rd, Chassell, MI 49916
- Krupp’s Mini Mart – 32260 M-26, Toivola, MI 49965
- Pasty Central – 58540 Wolverine St #41, Calumet, MI 49913
- Connie’s Kitchen – 56901 6th St #9, Calumet, MI 49913
- Kaleva Cafe – 234 Quincy St, Hancock, MI 49930
- Kangas Cafe – 200 Michigan St #313, Hancock, MI 49930
- Suomi’s Home Restaurant & Bakery – 54 Huron St, Houghton, MI 49931
- Keweenaw Co-Op Market & Deli – 1035 Ethel Ave, Hancock, MI 49930
- Louie’s Fresh Market – 5400 Bridge St, Lake Linden, MI 49945