Ghost Towns

Thousands of immigrants moved to the Copper Country to begin work in the mines but once the price of copper went down and the mines started to close those immigrants moved elsewhere looking for work which left many towns abandoned.  You can still see glimpses of many old and forgotten mine towns throughout the Peninsula, but be careful as you explore!  Some of the remains may be on private property or some may be structurally unsound so we ask that you pay careful attention to your surroundings as you explore these old ghost towns.

Map
FILTERS
Close

Refine Search

By Category:
By Regions:
By Name:
(map loads here)

List of Members

Bete Grise, MI 49950
United States

Region: Lac La Belle / Bete Grise

Located at the end of an 8 mile long, winding black top road east of of US-41 that follows for some distance along the beaches of Lake Superior, lies the harbor at Bete Grise. Bete Grise is French ...

Central, MI 49950
United States

Phone: (906) 289-4990
Web site: http://www.keweenawhistory.org
Region: Eagle Harbor

Located just north of US-41 approximately 4 miles north of Phoenix. The community, now a part of the Keweenaw County Historic Society Museum Complex, was settled around the Central Mining Company ...

Lac La Belle, MI 49550
United States

Region: Lac La Belle / Bete Grise

Lac La Belle, one of Keweenaw Counties larger lakes, is a 1,146 acre lake with a maximum depth of 39 feet and access to Lake Superior through the Mendota Canal. Fish include walleye, small large ...

Eagle Harbor, MI 49550
United States

Region: Eagle Harbor

The Copper Falls mine was one of the regions pioneers. It was 1845, and the Copper Falls Company gained a tract of landing spanning over 4,000 acres north of the greenstone on a 700 foot summit of ...

MI 49950
United States

The old Cliff Mine site is located just south of Phoenix, off US-41 on the Cliff Drive. The Cliff Mine was 1,080 feet deep and produced 825 tons of copper in 1875. The town was settled around 1844 ...

Delaware, MI 49950
United States

Region: Eagle Harbor

The remains of this once booming mine town can be seen on the east side of US-41 about 10 miles north of Central. A few old houses remain, one of them bearing a handmade sign advertising rocks. Ev ...
Gay

Gay, MI 49550
United States

Located on the south shore of the Keweenaw Peninsula approximately 12 miles southeast of Mohawk, Gay was settled in 1904 around the stamp mills of the Mohawk Wolverine Mining Companies. Populatio ...

Delaware, MI 49550
United States

Region: Copper Harbor

A sign on US-41, approximately 4 miles north of Delaware, marks the trail road that leads to the once thriving community of Mandan. In 1910 there was a population of 300 with a Keweenaw Central Ra ...

Phoenix, MI 49550
United States

Region: Eagle River

Approximately 6 miles north of Mohawk on US-41. Settled in 1845 by the Phoenix Copper Company of Boston, MA, its population had risen to 1,000 by 1877. Phoenix once housed churches, a schoolhouse, ...

MI 49550
United States

Region: Copper Harbor

Take the Lac La Belle road off US-41 just north of Delaware to the Wyoming sign approximately 1 1/2 miles down on the right. About a mile down this gravel road is the vacant field where the villag ...

Houghton, MI 49905
United States

Region: Houghton

Located 6 miles southwest of Houghton off M-26, Baltic was the home of the Baltic Mining Company. An underground copper mine near South Range, MI consisting of 5 shafts. Exploration work was star ...

Freda, MI 49905
United States

Region: Houghton

Take the Houghton Canal Road west of Houghton to the Coles Creek Road to the Freda Road, then left to the end. This was the home of the Champion Mine mill. Freda was also a popular resort destinat ...

Chassell, MI 49916
United States

Region: Chassell

In 1893, Craig, also know as Portage Entry, located on the shore of Keweenaw Bay at the mouth of the Portage River and on the Soo Line Railroad in Schoolcraft and Portage Townships and 13 miles so ...

Lake Linden, MI 49945
United States

Region: Lake Linden

Gregoryville was located opposite Lake Linden across Torch Lake in the approximate area of the current Maple Leaf Bar. Settled in 1867 by Joseph Gregory who operated the saw mill from 1867 to 1872 ...

Lake Linden, MI 49945
United States

Take the Bootjack Road southeast out of Lake Linden to the Jacobsville Road to Jacobsville. It was started in 1887 as a fishing village at the mouth of the Portage River. It was the site of the sa ...

Calumet, MI 49913
United States

Region: Calumet

About 1 mile south of Calumet, turn west onto Store Street. Osceola was located in the area between Store and Millionaire Streets. The area across Store Street was known as Tecumseh. Residential l ...

MI 49905
United States

Approximately 13 miles west of Houghton. Take the Houghton Canal Road west off M-26 to the Coles Creek Road to the Freda Road, then left to Redridge. Settled in 1905, it was the site of the Atlant ...

Lake Linden, MI 49945
United States

Take the Bootjack Road south from Lake Linden to the Jacobsville Road, follow to White City. In the early 1900s White City was a premiere summer resort with hotel-restaurant-saloon, amusement park ...
Members found: 18

Previous page Next page
showing 1 through 18 of 18
Previous page Next page
showing 1 through 18 of 18