Arts & Cultural Attractions
The Keweenaw Peninsula is a storied place. As ancient as the billion-year-old Keweenaw Fault. As new as the just-released indie-band songs performed live in Hancock’s Orpheum Theater. The key is not to miss the stories when you are here.
So, whether it’s the arts, music, poetry … whatever ignites your soul, follow your passion on our peninsula. Or push yourself to try something you wouldn’t do back home. Slip into a hammered copper art gallery; listen to music genres you never imagined you’d like. Become part of the creative spirit that permeates this land and water.
After an exhilarating day of biking or skiing, take the time to enjoy top-shelf talent from across the Keweenaw (or the country) in our impressive and historic venues. From the largest performance venue in the Upper Peninsula to a 120-year-old theatre, the Keweenaw some experiences you won’t want to miss!
Not sure where to start? Here are what the locals recommend …
- Experience world-renowned performers at the Rozsa Center for the Performing Arts. Don’t miss national- and University-produced theatre, jazz, orchestra, symphonic bands, choral music, dance, and film, as well as visual art exhibitions and installations on Michigan Tech’s campus in Houghton!
- Take a guided Industrial or Downtown Calumet Walking Tour every Wednesday and Friday until Aug. 30, 2019.
- Stop in the Calumet Art District each First Friday to look at the newest installations. This mix of galleries and working studios in downtown Calumet welcomes visitors all year round but on the First Friday hosts open houses to showcase the artists’ newest work.
- Discover why the Copper Country is referred to as the American Lapland. The area’s abundant timberlands, copper, and landscape pulled Finns from across the Atlantic Ocean to settle in the Keweenaw. Visit Finlandia University’s Finnish-American Heritage Center in Hancock, MI view North American’s most renowned archive and collections meant to preserve and promote Finnish-American identity and history.
- Be wowed by our annual music festivals: Pine Mountain Music Festival in mid- through late-June (multiple sites), Calumet’s Dam Jam Festival in late June and the Allouez Farm Block Fest in late July.
912 Razorback Drive
Houghton, MI 49931 US
List of Members