Snowfall & Trail Conditions
December 7, 2021
Snowfall & Weather
Houghton County has received a total of 31.38″ of snow for the season and Keweenaw County has received 39” of snow for the season.
Snowmobile Trail Conditions
Trails north of Mohawk are temporarily closed due to logging. All gates are currently closed. Trails south of Mohawk are in early season condition and not groomed. Watch out for rocks, wet spots, downed trees, and other impediments as snow levels are low.
Portage Lake Lift Bridge is estimated by MDOT to be opened to snowmobile traffic on December 18th or 20th (at the 𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙡𝙞𝙚𝙨𝙩).
For real-time trail grooming updates download the Groomer Tracker App! Sign up for the Keweenaw trail system with a portion of the fees shared to support our local trail grooming club!
Cross Country Skiing & Fat Tire Trail Condition
- Michigan Tech – All trails were rolled and panked last night. Tolkien was groomed this morning. Lots of fresh snow resulted in not the best groom, but there should be decent skiing today. Still building a base before track is set. (12/7/2021)
- Swedetown – Grooming has begun, but it will take a day or two to work the snow into a rideable trail. (12/7/2021)
- Chassell – No update for the season yet. (12/7/21)
- Churning Rapids Snow Bike – Packing has begun, but it will probably be a few more days before there are rideable trails. (12/7/2021)
- Copper Harbor – The majority of the trail network is open to the public. (12/2/21) Grooming status is unknown at this time. (12/7/2021)
- Eagle Harbor Township Trails – Trails not yet groomed (12/2/21)
- Keweenaw Mountain Lodge (Copper Harbor) – Trails are not yet open. (12/5/21) Grooming was expected to start yesterday. (12/6/2021)
- Maasto Hiihto/Churning Rapids – City side trails rolled. There are still quite a few thin areas. Trails will be rolled again when more snow arrives. (12/7/21)
Mont Ripley – Closed due to lack of snowfall accumulation. (12/7/21) Expected open date is 12/18/2021.
Mount Bohemia – Closed due to lack of snowfall accumulation (12/7/21)