Snowfall & Trail Conditions
April 1, 2021
Snowfall & Weather
Houghton County has received a total of 169.4″ of snow for the season and Keweenaw County has received 178.4″ of snow for the season.
Snowmobile Trail Conditions
This is the final grooming report. Snowmobile trails are officially closed and grooming has ended for the season.
The Keweenaw Trails Services thanks everyone who helped with the winter recreation program. The work on the trail system will continue over the summer and fall, and they look forward to opening the trails again on December 1st.
For real-time trail grooming updates download the Groomer Tracker App! Sign up for the Keweenaw trail system with a portion of the fees shared to support our local trail grooming club!
Cross Country Skiing & Fat Tire Trail Condition
- Michigan Tech – After evaluating the trail conditions yesterday afternoon and finding them to be excessively poor, the decision has been made to suspend all grooming activities for the foreseeable future. This decision was made due to the possibility of damage occurring to our equipment as well as the safety of our users. The Trails are all still accessible for those who wish to brave the poor conditions. Best conditions will be found on Oak Loop. (3/25/21)
- Swedetown – Grooming was suspended this morning due to warm and wet conditions. The groomers will be closing gates and pulling cables on sections of the trails: trails are still open, but some sections will soon be inaccessible to snowmobiles. As always, we encourage everyone to get out and ski while it lasts! Posted at 10:00 am. (3/30/21)
- Chassell – There are now several areas where the trail is down to bare ground. With warm weather and sunshine predicted for the next few days, our grooming is now suspended for the season. Thanks to everyone for their support. We plan to resume grooming in December. (3/19/21)
- Churning Rapids Snow Bike – Most of the singletrack was smoothed out on Monday evening. Riding should be good in the mornings this week while it is frozen. (3/16/21)
- Copper Harbor – Groomed and tracked. Warm conditions above freezing. Some ice and chunky monkeys. (3/9/21)
- Eagle Harbor Township Trails – All trails are Spring Condition!! After the warm conditions last week, the conditions were spring like with icy tracks and debris on the trail. We haven’t’ been able to get out and touch the trails. The weather is either too warm for operating the snowmobile, or too cold to set any track without fresh snowfall. If we get the perfect day, or new snow, we will update our conditions. (3/16/21)
- Keweenaw Mountain Lodge (Copper Harbor) –We continue to see variable, and warmer temperatures (above freezing) over the past 7-10 days. The trails are very, very hard and icy. The last time we groomed the trails was 7-10 days ago (e.g. March 20-22). At this point we have suspended grooming until we receive more snow. Expect variable conditions and some bare spots, the tracks are gone for classic skiing but the trails can still be fun with an open mind. We are allowing snowshoeing on all trails at this point, however we ask you to stay off the golf course with any winter equipment at this time. (3/30/21)
- Maasto Hiihto/Churning Rapids – Tracks were reset on Meadow, Vista, Mud Lake, and all Churning Rapids trails. Good spring conditions. (3/18/21)
Mont Ripley – Closed for the season. (3/28/21)
Mount Bohemia – Closed for the season (3/22/21)