Snowfall & Trail Conditions
January 15, 2021
Snowfall & Weather
Houghton County has received a total of 76.9″ of snow for the season and Keweenaw County has received 62.8″ of snow for the season.*
- Today: Scattered snow showers. High 35F. Low 30F.
- Tomorrow: Snow showers. High 32F. Low 25F.
- Sunday: Cloudy. High 27F. Low 22F.
- Monday: PM Snow showers. High 28F. Low 20F.
- Tuesday: Snow showers. 1-2”. High 22F. Low 15F.
Snowmobile Trail Conditions
Snowmobile trails are in early season condition throughout the Keweenaw. Limited grooming is being done to preserve the trails until we get measurable fresh snow. Watch out for rocks, wet spots and other impediments as snow levels are low. MDNR Trail 133 is closed but has signed reroutes and MDNR Trail 134 to Copper Harbor is OPEN.
The trail section from Dollar Bay to Lake Linden (portion of Trail 3) and the Freda Trail (Trails 121 & 120) will be closed the entire season for repair. Trail 124 from Phoenix to Gay is temporarily closed for logging
Cross Country Skiing & Fat Tire Trail Conditions
- Michigan Tech – Thin spots are turning into thin areas. The crew is working diligently each and every night to ensure you have the best conditions possible. (1/15/21)
- Swedetown – Due to warm temperatures, minimal grooming was done. Len’s, Tiger Loop, Valley, Pine Ridge, Greenstone and the Tree Loops (Cedar, Birch, Tamarack) were dragged. Skier’s can expect to find soft conditions but the trails are still in good shape. (1/15/21)
- Churning Rapids Snow Bike – Trails have held up really well over the last week and are still in very good riding condition. Pretty firm with good grip. A few bumps and ruts, but overall very good. Conditions. (1/11/21)
- Chassell – Due to poor trail conditions, the Chassell trails will be closed until we get more snow. (1/7/21)
- Copper Harbor – Village trail is groomed for hiking and biking as are the Fort trails. More snow needed to set tracks. (1/13/21)
- Eagle Harbor Township Trails – The entire trail is rolled and combed with no tracks. Early season conditions with some exposed roots and thin coverage. Use caution! The Wellhead Loop has been added. It is a lollypop loop that does cross the snowmobile trail, so be careful. (1/11/21)
- Keweenaw Mountain Lodge (Copper Harbor) – The trails continue to be in decent shape. The base is still low. All trails have been groomed in the past 48 hours.(1/13/21)
- Maasto Hiihto/Churning Rapids – Tracks were refreshed on all trails. Good conditions overall. (1/5/21)
Mont Ripley – 12/21 trails and 2/3 lifts open. Snow base up to 24.” (1/6/21)
Mount Bohemia – Opening day projected to be January 29. Cold arctic air coming in next week and lake effect starting next week. (1/14/20)