Plan Your Keweenaw Workcation Experience
One of the best perks of remote work is that it allows you to work from anywhere with a solid internet connection. Some workers take advantage of this flexibility by working from — and traveling to — different destinations around the globe. It’s reported that nearly 5 million U.S. workers have adopted the “digital nomad” lifestyle which includes visiting destinations for as much as 12 months at a time! Read on for tips and recommendations to plan your Keweenaw remote work experience.
Benefits of Workcations
“Workcations” combine work and vacations. And with employers embracing remote work workcations are becoming more popular. Benefits of workcations include:
- Earning an income while traveling
- Potentially deducting travel expenses on your federal income tax return or be reimbursed by your employer
- Enhanced productivity and creativity with a change of scenery and a relaxed work environment
- Reduction in work-related distractions (think of that chatty coworker who never seems to have enough to do to keep them busy)
- Avoiding heavy workloads upon your return home
Keweenaw Coworking Spaces
With a good internet connection, you can work almost anywhere, but sometimes you need a traditional brick-and-mortar office space. Check out the following Keweenaw coworking spaces if you need a temporary office or just want the option to socialize with other digital nomads:
- 1Q1 Quincy: Conveniently located in downtown Hancock, the 1Q1 Quincy cowork space offers amenities like insanely fast internet, work stations, a conference room and even free coffee. Several Hancock local favorites like Milly’s Pizzeria, La Cantina, and K.C. Bonkers Coffee Shop are within walking distance.
- GrandBridge Business Center: Located in Houghton, the GrandBridge Business Center coworking space offers private offices available for daily, weekly, or monthly rental and open work spaces for hourly rental. An extra perk includes receptionist support and access to conference room facilities.
One of the benefits of combining work and travel is staying in unique and accommodating hotels, lodges, cabins, B&Bs, etc. Whether you want to set up your workcation headquarters on the shores of Lake Superior or in one of our charming downtowns, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a map to help find your perfect remote work base camp. or check out our the following area lodging options:
Tips for Making the Most of Your Workcation
Here are a few tips to help make your Keweenaw workcation enjoyable and productive:
- Set time limits: Establish daily “office hours” to ensure your visit isn’t all “work” and no “cation”. These can vary each day, but blocking out a set “work time” helps you disconnect and really enjoy the benefits of Keweenaw while you’re here. It’s important to create a balance so that you can enjoy your surroundings, take time for yourself and fit in a workout or some health and wellness hobbies.
- Determine your ideal work spot: It’s all about location, location, location. Some of us working better in an office setting. For others, working in the outdoors at a park or at a local beach really helps stimulate productivity. Find out what works for you and plan accordingly.
- Know your time zones: The Keweenaw is on Eastern Time. Don’t show up to a virtual meeting an hour (or three) early if your colleagues or clients are operating in another time zone. Here’s a handy time zone calculator if you need help keeping up with the time differences.
- Research internet quality and WiFi connections: Not everyone needs lightning fast internet speeds…but some do. So it’s important to know the quality of your internet connection, especially if your work is time sensitive. Most of the Keweenaw’s lodging accommodations come with easy access quality and reliable WiFi, but if you’re planning to do some serious uploading you might want to call ahead to check out their capacity. You can also use this map to find locations for public WiFi spots in the Keweenaw.
- Plan your fun: Whether you’re hear for a week or a month, there’s a lot to see and do in the Keweenaw. Be sure to plan ahead to get the most of your visit. If you need some help getting started, check out our digital resource library to access our free area guide, trail maps and more.
- Travel safely: In the era of the novel coronavirus, we all have to take some extra precautions to keep our community and visitors safe. We’ve been lucky that the number of cases in our area is low, but we need to work together to keep it that way. Check out our FAQs to see how to travel (and work) safely.
- Embrace our community: One of the main points of workcations is to experience a new location. When you come to the Keweenaw, you become part of our diverse community. The Keweenaw is made up of life long and seasonal residents, students from around the world (thanks to Michigan Tech and Finlandia University), and travelers like you. So make sure you take the time to explore our local hangouts and cultural attractions. We’d love to get to know you!