Writing an article about the Keweenaw but would like to see the area first hand first? The Keweenaw Convention & Visitors Bureau is more than happy to have you and can even help with accommodations, itineraries and other things but there are a few things we need to know about you and your company first. We ask that you share some information about you, your company and your project.
Once we receive and process your application, you will receive an email either confirming or denying your request. If confirmed, you will be contacted by a staff member at the KCVB who will coordinate your FAM tour.
Please review our guidelines for assisting travel writers. Media assistance depends on availability and is handled on a case by case basis. All travel writers must receive pre-authorization from the KCVB.
Travel writers must provide:
- Completed Media FAM Tour Request.
- A brief bio and samples of published stories.
- Letter of assignment (if working for a specific publication).
- Name of publications to which you plan to submit articles and their circulation numbers.
- Two editorial references (name, publications, phone numbers)
- Writers must give the KCVB at least 30 days notice before their arrival (unless special circumstances arise – to be approved by the KCVB) every effort will be made to accommodate your date preferences; however it is not guaranteed.
- Some transportation can be provided by the CVB if needed, but prior arrangement will be required and is not guaranteed.
- We recommend that working media professionals consider travel Sunday through Thursday as weekends typically have the highest occupancy demand for area accommodations and attractions.
- The KCVB cannot be responsible for expense incurred by anyone traveling with the writer.
- Tear sheets on any subsequent stories of Houghton and Keweenaw County are to be provided to the KCVB in a timely manner upon publication.
- FAM tour participants are obligated to attend all scheduled activities unless they notify the KCVB in advance. Failure to notify in advance will result in the participant being responsible for any cost incurred.
- The KCVB will not provide alcohol during any FAM tour due to liability.
The KCVB will provide:
- Press Access: The KCVB will work with the writer to develop a customized itinerary of attractions, cultural venues and other points of interest based on your interests and story angles. The KCVB will arrange for the writer’s admission to the attractions, activities and events included in the itinerary, and will provide assistance with meals included on the itinerary. A guide from the KCVB will accompany journalists during their visit.
- Lodging: The KCVB will provide complimentary rooms for up to two nights for writers who have received preauthorization from the KCVB. If the writer has not been preauthorized, then it is up to the individual property to decide if services will be complimentary or at a reduced rate. Accommodations are subject to availability.
- Ground Transportation: Writers are responsible for their own transportation while in Houghton and Keweenaw County. Rental cars are the responsibility of the writer, but we are happy to supply a list of local rental companies. However, in most cases a KCVB staff member will accompany the writer and can provide transportation to locations and amenities identified on the official itinerary.