Fort Wilkins State Historic Park
159 grass sites and 2 cabins on Lake Fanny Hooe.
Open mid-May to mid-October.
Built in 1844 on the rugged shore of Lake Superior, Fort Wilkins is a well-preserved example of mid-19th century army life on the northern frontier. 19 buildings survive, 12 of them original structures dating from the 1840's. Exhibits, audio-visual programs, and living history interpret routine military life and the hardships of frontier isolation.
The Copper Harbor Lighthouse, including interactive exhibits, period rooms and interpretive trails may be visited by tour boat departing from the Copper Harbor Marina. Located in Fort Wilkins State Park, Fort Wilkins and the Copper Harbor Lighthouse are administered by the Michigan Historical Museum System, Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
Fort Wilkins is open daily 8:00 a.m. to dusk, mid-May to mid-October.
Fort Wilkins Foot Trail: 4 miles - Biking, Cross Country Ski, Hiking.
Boat Launch: A hard-surfaced ramp, in areas of limited water depth or limited size of water body, where launching and retrieving of largest boats may be difficult and not recommended. The site is signed.
- Courtesy Pier available.
- Toilets available.
- 4 parking spaces available at the access site.
- 230 water acres.
- Operated by Fort Wilkins State Park.
- State Park Rules apply. A State Park entrance permit is required.