In 1893, Craig, also know as Portage Entry, located on the shore of Keweenaw Bay at the mouth of the Portage River and on the Soo Line Railroad in Schoolcraft and Portage Townships and 13 miles southeast of Houghton. Settled in 1883, by 1887 the residents were recieving mail semi-weekly. By 1893, the population was 200. They were receiving mail daily and had a general store. By 1905, the post office closed and all mail was sent to Jacobsville.