"The Copper Falls mine was one of the region's pioneers. It was 1845, and the Copper Falls Company gained a tract of landing spanning over 4,000 acres north of the greenstone on a 700 foot summit of land which would be later known as Petherick Hill. It was short lived though as the mine went through all their investors money and was forced to close in 1850. Luckily help was around the corner because a man that had just finished surveying land with Douglass Houghton was willing to help and his name was Sam Hill. A thorough survey was done of the land and Copper Falls proved to be home to over a half dozen fissure veins and the most promising of those would become home to the new Copper Falls mine site. In 1851 the mine was reorganized with Mr. Hill as president. The mine looked promising and Copper Falls mining company would soon discover one of the richest fissure veins in the Keweenaw.
The “New” Copper Falls mine was undertaken on a large scale, marked by the sinking of 7 shafts and a 2350 foot adit driven into the base of the hill. Nearby another promising vein – the hill – would be worked in the same fashion. It too would be pierced with seven shafts, along with another massive adit driven into the base of the hill; this one over 6000 feet in length! By 1853 the new mine had matured and included it’s own 24 head stamp mill (located down at the base of the hill, near the Copper Falls adit) along with over 25 dwellings, two boarding houses, office, sawmill, and fully outfitted shops.
After a series of ups and downs including a massive stope collapse in 1874 that killed 7 men and a fire that destoyed the stamp mill in 1878 that forced the mine to stop production for a whole year, the Copper Falls mine still remained profitable for quite some time until falling copper prices and low returns would force the mine to close for good in 1901."
Excerpt taken from Copper Country Explorer