Located 6 miles southwest of Houghton off M-26, Baltic was the home of the Baltic Mining Company.
An underground copper mine near South Range, MI consisting of 5 shafts. Exploration work was started in 1882 and successfully discovered the Baltic Lode. Property was sold in 1897 and the Baltic Mining Co. was organized a month later. The mine was absorbed by Copper Range Co. in 1917 and mining ceased in 1931. #3 shaft was the deepest at 3,839 feet. The mine produced 276 million lbs. of refined copper over 34 years. Fine specimens of copper crystals, as well as copper sulphide minerals (bornite and chalcocite) can be found on the tailings piles.